Community Programming Interpreter
Length of assignment: 2019-05-20 to 2019-08-16 (13 weeks)
Hours of Work: 35 hours per week. Days / Evenings / Weekends
Hourly wage: $12.00
Who can apply: Applicants must be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with provincial legislation and regulations and planning to return to school in the fall.
Summary of Position:
The Community Programming Interpreter interacts with visitors of all ages, leading school groups, public tours and interpretive programs within the Manuels River Hibernia Interpretation Centre and along our trail system. They will be responsible for researching and compiling information related to the history, culture and heritage of the Manuels River area and for developing related content to be used in programs and exhibitions.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Interact with Manuels River visitors both in the Centre and on the Trail to enhance their experience by providing excellent visitor services and interpretation to all ages;
- Work as a member of a team to deliver school programs, public programs, birthday parties and youth group programs;
- Research and compile local stories, folklore and histories for use in interpretation programs and exhibits;
- Develop, plan and present weekly summer community programs and activities;
- Provide basic security and monitoring of the exhibit spaces;
- Assist with program and event set-up, take down and clean-up.
- Excellent interpersonal and teamwork skills.
- Excellent public speaking and communication skills.
- Outgoing, polite, friendly and patient.
- Basic knowledge of the geology and/or cultural history of Newfoundland and Labrador.
- Able to multi-task and work efficiently on individual projects.
- Able to work a variety of shifts, both daytime, evening and weekend.
- Possess moderate computer skills and the ability to learn quickly.
- Preference given to candidates with a background in History, Folklore, Geography, Education or Science (Earth Science, Biology, Physical Geography)
- Experience working in a science centre or museum an asset.
- Experience leading tours, programs, or day camps an asset.
- Selected candidates will require a current (within 30 days of first day of work) RNC Certificate of Conduct.
To Apply: Email your resume with cover letter, three references to Education Manager Gillian Davidge at email@example.com.